Sunday, March 29, 2015

Seeing Bo Burnham's Make Happy Tour!

Hello all that may be reading this right now (and thank you for doing so), but as you can tell from the title, yesterday I had the pleasure of seeing Bo Burnham live and as expected he was hilarious and brilliant. Luckily there were preassigned seats, well it's a comedy show so duh I guess, but anyway we didn't get there until around 20 minutes before the show started and so that was nice because I'm used to having to get to a show at least a little early and then having to stand for at least like an hour after getting inside. I got this really cute mocktail too it was called Froot Loop Spritzer and it was like orange juice, sprite, cranberry juice, and just everything all in one drink it was really refreshing and I just felt like I should let you guys know that if you ever have the chance to get a drink like that. Moving on, the opener came on and he was pretty funny, his set didn't last long but he had some really funny jokes, sadly I don't remember his name (sorry). Then Bo came on and in traditional fashion, it was over the top and extravagant and perfectly fitting. I'll just run through some of the highlights from it that I remember now.

 One of the things he mentioned at least like 3 times was the newly passed law here in Indiana that's called the Religious Freedom Bill. He first was telling a joke about a crowded gay bar where he said "who's dick do I gotta suck around here to suck a guy's dick around here" and then followed with "the gay bars are all overcrowded because they're not allowed into the restaurants in this city" and everyone lost it at that, I think I heard a few 'amens' mixed in with the cheering. The second time he mentioned it was more directed at Gov. Pence who signed it into action and there was this prerecorded track playing that said "you're a faggot!" to Bo and when everyone laughed he said something about how everyone liked that one and then "I bet Gov. Pence would love that one too". The last time I remember him saying it was just random he was in between jokes and just said "give it up for religious freedom!" and when everyone clapped and cheered he goes "these kids don't read the news". That was all pretty great because of all the heat surrounding that bill since it was signed last week. 

I really loved all of the songs he sang but my personal favorite was the 'straight white male' song where he listed off basically every really hard "problem" straight white males have to deal with in this country compared to women/african americans/etc. He also did something hilarious where he built up all this hype and had a great beat going and lights flashing and then it cuts off and he just farts into the mic. It's just small things like that that make his comedy great in my opinion like he doesn't just do stand up he does songs, dances, raps, whatever and then also has these really childish things mixed in too. Anyway, the last thing I was going to say about the show was when he made up this country song.... it was seriously so weird because Bo had a full on country voice and for a split second it kind of made me like country it was the weirdest thing ever but he was really good at it? It's all so confusing. 

Sorry if I rambled a little there it's kind of hard to describe things like that that happened at a show especially jokes because they're usually funniest when seen for yourself. Afterwards though, when we were waiting to see if we could meet him it was really funny because we were sitting in our car since it was freezing outside and we were parked right next to people lined up outside also waiting. Anyway we were listening to music, not really that loud, but everyone kept staring at us for some reason so eventually we turned on the every-so-classic song 'A Thousand Miles' by Vanessa Carlton and full on blasted the song, not even with the windows down, but you could see everyone immediately look over or back at us as we screamed the lyrics and played air piano to this. You could see some people kind of singing along or just laughing hysterically but then I look over to my left and there's just this girl (from right when we turn it on) who is staring directly at us with this astonished expression, her mouth open, and hands in the air making kind of like a 'what?!' gesture; it was great. But in case you were wondering yes we did eventually meet him, he was probably waiting until the line kept dying down but we were in the car so we were fine waiting. It was a quick hi and pictures but when I told him I liked his height (because it's always weird standing next to a really tall person because it's then that you realize just how tall they are, or maybe that's just me...) he looked surprised and he just laughed and said "oh, well thank you!" Bo Burnham is just really cute and hilarious and a genuine person, so if you can, I suggest all of you go see him like as soon as possible. 

Me, Bo, and Sabah 


Well now that this very long story is over, have a great day or night and thanks, as always, for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment