Friday, June 6, 2014

Bastille in Indianapolis Indiana June 4th, 2014

So me and two other friends decided to go see Bastille perform just downtown in Indianapolis on June 4th, 2014 in the Egyptian Room. Originally, it was set for May 31st (which would have been perfect because that was the day after school let out) but due to other conflicts, it was changed. No worries though because it was summer! However, of course that day it was set to storm the ENTIRE day which would make it difficult when trying to stand outside and wait for doors to open. After we made our way down to the venue we saw hardly anyone was out there, we were like the third or fourth group in line (um, yay!) except, it was storming really badly. That time frame from when it was storming until after it cleared up was very interesting to say the least. But i'll spare you those boring details that you most likely do not want to hear about. Then as time passed, the line kept growing longer and longer until eventually some girl and her friends decided to make their own line starting on the other side of the stairs into the venue. She said she had a fast past and that would be the line for concert-goers with those, however I'm not really sure what made her think that would be a good idea given that others in line before her had them and no one, including security, had told her to form that line there. That whole situation was a mess (fast passes in my opinion are very dumb when there are an unlimited amount because usually the artists aren't the ones selling them it's the venue just looking to make more money and the people that stood outside (possibly through severe storms!) are screwed because they thought they would be first row but end up in fifth or sixth just because they didn't know about the passes or simply did not want to shell out even more money). But again, I won't go on too long about that because even after that all passes and you're standing inside and maybe you get irritated again by the people standing around you or thinking about the fact that you could've been front row, the show EVENTUALLY begins and you forget all of that. Getting back on topic though, the opener for the night was a band named 'Haerts' who I believe, however not completely sure about, were just filling in for that one night since a couple nights before the original tour openers, Wolf Gang, were done opening for them on tour. Maybe this was due to the rescheduling, again not sure but I was a little sad because Wolf Gang seemed like a pretty cool band. (Comment below if you know if Haerts was with them on the whole tour or what). After listening to Haerts which seemed really good, I just was not really paying too much attention because so much was going through my mind at the time, Bastille entered the stage. They opened with their song 'Bad Blood' which is a personal favorite of mine and you could tell instantly that Dan, the lead singer, had an electric stage presence. Throughout the concert he had the audience jumping up and down and singing their hearts out. It's the type of crazy yet fun crowd that everyone must experience at least once or twice in their life. Then toward the end when they played 'Flaws' Dan threw on his hoodie and went walking throughout the crowd singing to them in different spots in the room which I always think it is cool when an artist does that and isn't afraid of getting close to the fans (this is also when I had the chance to get closer to the stage for the end of the show). After that, during the encore (I think during the song Daniel in the Den but I don't quite remember) Dan had the crowd get low at different parts in the song then jump up all of the sudden. It's things like that that made being in the crowd for that concert all the better. Then of course during their hit song 'Pompeii' everyone was screaming at the top of their lungs along with the lyrics and dancing crazily. They then thanked us for being an awesome last show to the tour (the night previous they were on Late Night with Seth Meyers so they flew into Indy and then flew right out immediately after the show back to New York to play Governors Ball on Friday) and just like that the show was sadly over. I made my way over to the merch table and bought a shirt even though it was $30 and I told myself not to because that was the last of my money but hey why not! Leaving I saw so many people I knew, luckily a lot of people I liked, and my friends and I went to the car and sat there to cool down and chill out to let all the traffic pass before we left. Funnily enough, we were sitting there listening to 'Head.Cars.Bending' by The 1975, like full on blasting it and singing to it and being weird, and noticed outside of the front of my car just a little ways up an old TEACHER of mine was standing there!!! He appeared to be waiting for Eddie Izzard to come out since he was there that same night but in the Murat, at least I can only assume that was why he was waiting there unless he was waiting for his daughter because she went to the concert or something but how freaking weird and awkward is that? All I can say is thank God he didn't see me (hopefully that never happens again in my life, ever). [Side note: saw another old teacher at 'The Fault in Our Stars' premiere the next night!] Even driving home was really fun because we were just blasting music on the highway and singing along and we were still on that post-concert rush you have and it was just one of those moments. Wrapping up this very long story, overall, it was such a great night that I'm glad I went to because it turned out better than I could have ever expected and I even made a couple new friends kinda sorta, that were cool. Moral of this story, go see Bastille perform live if ever given the chance.

Comment below if you were there that night or if you've seen them before and what you're favorite part of the night was!


I'll link some videos once I have them posted on Youtube or something but for now heres some pictures you can enjoy:








Social Media:
Instagram/Twitter: @a_copp

No comments:

Post a Comment